As promised, I will address another Don S. Shoemaker attribution seen for auction and also in galleries:
- This product of a lesser mind living room set imitates the legendary “Elephant Lounge Set”, created by Don S. Shoemaker in a limited edition of 5. The original set (as I had already described in another post) comprises 2 lounge chairs and an outstanding coffee table. However, this brand new “want to be” elephant model, forgery, includes a settee, a love-seat, a lounge chair and a coffee table.
The differences to the original Don S. Shoemaker “Elephant Lounge Set” are very obvious:
- No elephant eyes are present (as the typical Don S. Shoemaker swinging mechanism is absent)
- The “box seat style” with leather cushion similar to the Sling Swinger Chair was adapted, instead of the nailed leather seat with the typical decoration for each nail, the so called “leather flowers”
- A funny 3 position mechanism was adapted, the coordination of 2 or 3 of your guests is required to go one step back or forth
- Blue prints and a manual have to be delivered to your guests for this dangerous maneuvering
- No curved back-rail (signature of the house) present. After 10 minutes with your back in contact with the straight rail you want to cry!
- The table´s legs stand on 90°
- And most important: this love-seat and the settee were never part of Don S. Shoemaker´s designs.
Of course I will withhold information about some other details in order to prevent production of better imitations!
Copyright © 2010-2017 Karin Goyer. All Rights Reserved